Exam & Key Stage Results
The Downs School is a high performing school, with a consistently strong record of academic success at both GCSE and A Level. We are very proud of the high percentage pass rates achieved by our students, due to the excellence and diligence of our teaching staff, the hard work of our students and the partnership between staff and parents.
Despite the changes to make GCSEs tougher and more demanding, 2018 saw a spectacular set of results for our Year 11s:
- At least 84% of students achieved the standard pass grades 4–9 (C to above A*) in English and Mathematics.
- 58% of students achieved the strong pass grades 5–9 (B to above A*) in both subjects, with 18% of students in both subjects being awarded grades 7–9 (A to A* and above).
- Just short of 83% of students achieved five passes at grade 4 (C) and above, with 80% of these also including English and Mathematics
- 13% of all entries achieved grades 8 or 9 (A* and above) and 27% achieving grades 7–9 (A and above).
Success across vocational subjects was also striking. For the three BTECs in Performing Arts, over a third of students achieved a grade 7 and above. In Business, Media, IT and Sport at least 85% of students achieved grade 4 and above.
There were also some particularly outstanding performances in the following subjects:
- In Extended Project (equivalent to AS Level) 15 students gained A* or A results, which represented 71% of the entries.
- Over 90% of students achieved grades 4–9 (C to above A*) in Art, Biology, Chemistry, Drama, Media, Physics and Statistics.
- Over 85% of students achieved grades 4–9 (C to above A*) in German, Music, RE, Textiles, English Literature and Mathematics.
Over 140 students sat A Levels examinations in 2018, and the results surpassed the extremely strong grades achieved the previous year:
- 8% of entries gained A* grades
- 33% of entries gained A*-A grades
- 65% of entries gained A*-B grades
- 85% of entries gained A*-C grades
Twenty one of our students achieved three or more A Levels at Grade A or A*, and these spectacular results across the board firmly established the foundations from which our students would move on to their chosen Higher Education courses, apprenticeships or employment.