Exam & Key Stage Results
Thursday 16th August 2018
Year Thirteen Students Achieve Outstanding Results at The Downs School
Over 140 students sat A Level examinations at The Downs School this year.
- 8% of entries gained A* grades
- 33% of entries gained A*-A grades
- 65% of entries gained A*-B grades
- 85% of entries gained A*-C grades
The students have achieved a phenomenal set of results, surpassing the extremely strong results achieved by last year’s highly successful Y13 cohort. This maintains The Downs School’s tradition of consistently high standards.
A large number of our top students achieved A*AA and AAA which are fantastic results and in addition to that there were some exceptional results which are worthy of note:
- Alex Smith A*A*A*
- Katie Crivich A*A*A
- Agnes Kessling A*A*A
- Charlotte Morton A*A*A
- Olivia Newbold A*AAA
- Rebecca Visser A*A*AB
Headteacher Chris Prosser said, "This Year Group have really excelled, rising to meet the demands of the more challenging linear A Levels and BTECs. There are so many wonderful success stories beneath these statistics. I am really proud of all our students and what they have achieved. It has been a real team effort, with students, staff and parents having worked in partnership to make these results happen. These results are a springboard that will enable our students to achieve great things in Higher Education and employment."
Deputy Headteacher Phil Wilson said, "The students have done incredibly well and should be really proud of what they have achieved. It is worth pointing out that twenty one of our students achieved three or more A Levels at grade A or A*, which shows incredible levels of hard work and commitment."
Head of Sixth Form Pete Hogan said, "The Year Group have shown such a positive attitude, right from the start. This determination to succeed, combined with the commitment of their teachers and the support of their parents, has enabled the Year Group to achieve some of our best results ever."
Thursday 23rd August 2018
Students ride the wave of success at The Downs School
A spectacular set of GCSE results awaited students at The Downs School.
At least 84% of students achieved the standard pass grades 4–9 (C to above A*) in English and Mathematics. A fantastic 58% of students achieved the strong pass grades 5–9 (B to above A*) in both subjects, with 18% of students in both subjects being awarded grades 7–9 (A to A* and above).
Just short of 83% of students achieved an amazing five passes at grade 4 (C) and above, with 80% of these also including English and Mathematics.
There were many high grades, with 13% of all entries achieving grades 8 or 9 (A* and above) and 27% achieving grades 7–9 (A and above).
Achievement across vocational subjects was also striking. For the three BTECs in Performing Arts, over a third of students achieved a grade 7 and above. In Business, Media, IT and Sport at least 85% of students achieved grade 4 and above.
Headteacher Chris Prosser said, “We are absolutely thrilled by the fantastic success of our amazing students across all ability levels. To have surpassed last year’s excellent results in a year when they sat so many of the new tougher GCSEs is testament to the resilience and determination that this hugely talented group of students have shown. Big congratulations to both my dedicated body of staff and supportive parents without whom these achievements would not have been possible. We gain a huge amount of satisfaction knowing that we have prepared our students fully to achieve their future aspirations.”
Deputy Headteacher Carol Butler commented, “I would like to congratulate Year 11 on their achievement. All members of our school community feel an immense sense of pride knowing the part each played in enabling our year 11 students to move confidently into the next exciting career phase. We look forward to continuing our partnership work with the majority of students who will join our successful sixth form.”
Amongst the whole school achievement there are an astonishing number of individual successes, which include:
- Gina Wilson attained eight grade 9s one grade 8 and an A* in Extended Project
- Elizabeth Ruddell achieved seven grade 9s, one grade 8, an A* and a Distinction*
- Oliver Shakespeare achieved six grade 9’s along with other high grades
- Harris Irfan and Charlie Perek-Jennings achieved five grade 9s each in their spread of high grades
- Toby Ritson, Ciara Thatcher, Hannah Taylor, Stuart Bladon and Amy Hill were included in the nine students who achieved 6 or more grades 8 or 9 (A* and above) along with further grade 7s (A)
There were also some particularly outstanding performances in the following subjects:
- In Extended Project (equivalent to AS Level) 15 students gained A* or A results, which represented 71% of the entries.
- Over 90% of students achieved grades 4–9 (C to above A*) in Art, Biology, Chemistry, Drama, Media, Physics and Statistics.
- Over 85% of students achieved grades 4–9 (C to above A*) in German, Music, RE, Textiles, English Literature and Mathematics.